January 28, 2010

toxic.

I like the responses I've been writing in my English class, so I'm going to post the ones that I am particularly fond of here. Here is today's; a response to this article on toxic friends.

It is impossible to avoid negative qualities in people. We all possess various types of them, and many are reluctant to address their own issues. While people may easily recognize manipulation or gossip within someone in their acquaintance, it takes a much harder look to realize that they may possess it themselves. Breaking off a friendship because just someone is unreliable, critical, or overly competitive may be unwarranted. However, when someone is aware of their faults and is overtly unwilling to change, there is reason for concern. The level of trust given to someone who is making a conscious effort to purge themselves of negative behavior is and should be more than that given to one who has no desire to. Should one maintain a relationship with someone who will continually disappoint, with no care or concern for those they are injuring? However, can we honestly say that any of us are not guilty of doing the same?

No comments:

Post a Comment