June 9, 2009

Borrowing Time

I took another step towards you
as your boot heel left the ground.
Everything I do is new;
It is all true, I have found.

I left you in the kitchen,
but you followed right behind.
Perhaps I am not like other women,
perhaps I am my own kind.

If I am my own, what kind am I?
I have never ceased to wonder.
Am I the kind that doesn't try,
the kind that flees from thunder?

Or am I the kind that doesn't give,
the kind that doesn't run?
All I want is just to live,
live life well, I have but one.

For today, I will love you,
I will hold on and not let go.
I will trust in follow-through,
I will learn to say no.

For tomorrow, I will not leave my post,
I will keep a promise.
I will not begin to coast,
I will not forget this.

I brought you to the next room over,
and you said that it was fine.
I asked you to be my lover,
I asked if you'd be mine.

I took another step, away,
and asked if we could borrow
a bit of time from today
for us to use tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment