October 27, 2008

"Music has charms to soothe the savage breast..."

"...to soften rocks, or bend a knotted oak."
William Congreve, The Mourning Bride

I went a little new music crazy today. And most of it wasn't even new. I'm very excited about it. And I won't tell you how many albums I downloaded because even guilt-free me is a bit guilty about it. But most of it was quite old or relatively so and I won't dwell on it. But I did I find a new love in Joan As Police Woman.

And why is it that the saying became, "charms to soothe the savage beast," when it was written, "breast?" That really doesn't make any sense. Maybe we just alter what we don't understand so as not to have to admit we do not understand whatever it is that we don't understand.

Maybe people are just afraid of being wrong. Being misconceived, misunderstood (oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood), mistaken for something they aren't (or maybe something they are but won't acknowledge), or less than equal to everyone else. Newsflash: we won't ever all be equal. We're only equal in our inadequacy. Sin, flesh, selfishness, etc. I'll never: have hair as shiny as, teeth as white as, skin as clear as, play as well as, joke, speak, laugh, or smile as lovely as, or exist as "wonderfully" as: anyone of you. And I'm sure you could all come up with your own list.

But you know what? It's okay. Because I only perceive myself to be inadequate. I was created exactly as was intended and to want any less or more is saying that He didn't really quite know what He was doing when He gave me 20/100?150?+? vision or blonde hair or the inability to develop upper arm strength.


Through Him, I am perfected.

No comments:

Post a Comment