January 6, 2008

reflection on the unknown love of a six-year-old

I'll cut your picture out and call it finest art
Hang it on a wall and watch it in the dark
My mother took it years ago when we were only ten
And my it's hard to say how much we've really changed since then

This is my Portrait of the Artist, I'll be your Mona Lisa
You were just a Young Man and I just tried to reach ya
I tried to be a Lady, talking proud and walking tall
Only just pretended like it was nothing at all

You never knew that beneath this smile was hiding adoration
Behind this laugh, just facing you, lurked all the inhibition
Henry James could novelize me: I made myself a fool
I never tried but here I am, it has become the rule

So make a list of your objections, sign it with your name
Think of them and write them down and I will do the same
False or true, this time tomorrow, I suppose we'll see
If you and I or you and me will be able to be we

No comments:

Post a Comment